IMERULI KHACHAPURI 🌻
Scroll down to get to the recipe ⬇️ Keep reading for fun facts!
This is my mom’s take on the classic Imeruli / Megruli Khachapuri. This dish varies greatly region to region. It’s typically served in a circular shape but with our pastry sheet hack (flaky DELICIOUSNESS), we do it in a rectangular shape on a sheet pan. Since the Georgian cheese SULGUNI is hard to get in the US, my mom substitutes a mix of mozzarella and feta to get the same melt and salt content of the traditional Georgian cheese.
A perfect appetizer, serve this “Georgian pizza,” and wow guests at your next dinner party 😉🇬🇪
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 2 eggs
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- egg brush
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine mozzarella and feta; mix in 1 egg + 1 egg white; keep egg yolk for later.
3. Spray or oil sheet pan; stretch 1 puff pastry sheet onto bottom of sheet pan.
4. Cover pastry with cheese mixture, leaving 1/4 inch to edge; stretch second pastry sheet on top, tucking 1/4 inch up and top sheet underneath.
5. Create 3 slits in the center; brush remaining egg yolk on top and place in the oven to bake.
6. Khachapuri is done when the top pastry sheet is golden!
#tbilisi #georgiathecountry #nytcooking #khachapuri #imereti #food #baking